Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Turkey in February ?

Project: Paper Food Design


As much as fun it was, designing some thing that is organic with paper (also organic), is one of the funnest and very challenging issue. I wanted to design a stuffed turkey, and hence the following steps:








I started with a simple origami ball design. It could have been used to make a turkey body shape. I also thought of cutting geometric block shapes to make the entire body. As much as my friends like to call it a tank, I was sure where I was headed.








I had already made couple of large designs in my journal (sorry don't have those images). worked to improvising the tank into a turkey. After failing I even tried a little fun before facing the ultimate hours :)








Origami has always been fun, regardless of the hardcore mathematical equations those go behind them. This paper turns into what's below here:








Back to work. The figure below is one of the legs for the turkey body. Initially I was about to make it more spherical but it could have been challenging to make it functional.








As for the turkey itself, I wondered about stuffing. So in-order to give that feeling I crushed the left over papers. I did wanted to fill the turkey with M&M but then it wouldn't have been fair for the poor fellow.








This is my small workspace. Had to turn off the TV. My water-bottle wanted to be on the picture too, as it helped me supply oxygen :D As you can see its a mess but had to start somewhere.









This was my third attempt to making a turkey. As much as third one's a charm, which in fact did work for my project; I was going to find out preparing a roast turkey should be left for Mom to do and I should have just watched TV.







I got a great reference to a guide by a friend from a class and my teacher encouraged me to look it up. I am glad I took their advice. Although it looks like a bat, I assure you I was attempting to design a turkey. Had my pencil and my knife ready for action.








I remember visiting my friend's house back when I was very young. I saw his father's work space. I was amazed how impressive his board looked and wanted be an engineer or a flight navigator. Believe me after I took this picture I felt like I lived the dream. Actually, the thick ruler on the picture below is a flight and direction navigating tool. It is amazing what can you run into.








This is while I got up the first time I sat down for the project. Forget about finishing it, I couldn't even imagine what was going to be the product of my work. Leave it alone, the tracking, the angling, the folds, the attachments, the cuts, and entire brainwashing took me (just like the entire class) more time and concentration than anyone anticipated.
Believe me if it weren't so much fun, it'd just be another bothersome thing to do. (Please don't kill me Julie).
If only I had more range on my camera; I could have shown you my bed covered with paper.








This was something I had to do. A little showing off, can't hurt. Asked my friend to take a picture of me. Too bad that old camera can't show how 'HOT' I am while am working. (Hot as in deeply concentrated).





Finally, the turkey body. All the cuts and tapes and glues and crazy folding time came to a well ending. But the work had only started. I still am short the wings, legs and surely the color for a well done roast turkey.








As you can see, I constantly had to place it upside down and measure where I had to mark and cut the exact place for wings and legs. Seriously, my demo did look like a tank.








Making the wings was twice as difficult as the body. The body was almost round and big. With the balance hole on the bottom it was easy to work with. The wings had no working space, and I was 110% sure I had screwed myself. I knew this turkey was going to have a Ninja Hook wings. I had no idea what I was doing, I almost lost my temper at my friends who were messing around with my tools. I hate wing, I prefer drums even I visit the Buffalo Wild Wings. Making them is much, much and way much more than eating them.








Okay did I fuss much about the wing? (I hope my teacher misses this part) I hated working on the leg. The leg itself had four different cuttings. Imagine a tool hammer shaped connecting to a bunny haid shape. Then a circle with a tail to another semi-circle with teeth.
Okay, I was trying to make it dramatic. But mistakes are always standing in the learning process. Implementing the right way is the key to success.

It took over easy a time of day and night and the classes and the research, but I am glad with what I got at the end. I expected it to be a little bit bigger on my part though.
Finally, I had the body, both wings and legs. Coloring wasn't really a concern until I had to decide what would go on a roast turkey.








The first layer of color was a mild pink. The second layer was a brownish-red. Finally I used the left over pink and added enough yellow to make it a light shiny orange. Thanks to my acrylic paints I did my best to bring out the color. I should also thank the day we had a trip to the paper factory. We all(students) got the chance to pick the perfect paper. In this case the paper provided enough strength for the structure to hold and a grazed surface for the roast turkey








The color was dry, the tapes were hidden and the gluing process gave the turkey a texture of stitching, which worked on my favor. The reason it isn't all attached was to make it functional. I had slits on the body to hold the wings and legs. You can hence take them apart or join them to look ready to be served.








Just to make it a little happy ending I put all the paper leftover in the same bag I carried the project. All the theoretical process is in the process book file and this roast turkey was ready for critique.
I hope you enjoyed my complains and process.

Please do critique ...

Except for the picture below ... I was hungry and I had put salt n paper on it too :D

No comments:

Post a Comment